My husband and I began following Jorge Cruise's "Belly Fat Cure" plan in March of 2011. Needing to keep my motivation up, and also wanting an archive to read back over, I decided to join the legion of those people already tracking their progress.

Monday, March 21, 2011

First week of Jorge's Belly Fat Cure

Introduction
My name is cuddlefish and at the end of April I'll be turning 31. I have been attending Martial Arts classes since August 09, usually three times per week. Other than that I work in front of a computer all day and usually in the evenings as well. My husband and I decided to start Jorge Cruise's Belly Fat Cure plan after some friends of ours recommended it, and we began on Sunday, March 13.

I'll be keeping a record of my own progress, maybe a comment here or there about my husband's, but if he really wants to go into it he can do that and I'll link to him. :)

Diet Progress
Yesterday marked a week on the BFC plan. We totally BLEW last Monday's sugar when I miscalculated Polaner All Fruit last Monday for breakfast - I didn't realize the book's recipe called for a double helping of preserves, and the sugar content was already higher than 5g at one serving! I had really been looking forward to baking those blueberry muffins the first Sunday to eat all week, but without the 0g sugar preserves, that wasn't doable.

We took a 'break' on St. Paddy's day because we agreed we were not skimping on the traditional Corned Beef dinner, but we didn't do too poorly at the end of the day. Our green beer was Michelob Ultra at 0/0. We had Corned Beef (0/0), Potatoes, Carrots and Cabbage. I did indulge in a slice of Irish Soda Bread, with Olivio. At the end of the day I believe we still had sugar to spare and were at 12 servings of carbs. Way less than any typical day under our previous eating habits.

I ordered some Nature's Hollow Preserves, along with Joseph's Maple Syrup and Chunky Peanut Butter on Friday, figuring it would get here at the end of this week (husband and I are currently following the Ultimate menu). Not a moment too soon, too, as my husband and I agreed that the sausage and bacon breakfasts that Jorge recommends are just too heavy for us. We rarely eat the kind of fatty meats that Jorge recommends and it was making us both feel a bit queasy to even think of eating bacon this morning. I can't wait to get the preserves and have the toast with cream cheese and blueberry preserves again! And to make those muffins!

I weigh myself on Wednesday after my martial arts class. Normally I weigh around 165lb, but my baseline for this diet is 158 last Weds. My goal is about 125 - 130lb. I'd like to have my flat belly back (I currently have the little pooch that came with the death of my metabolism at age 25) as well as slimming to my arms and a "heavy chin".

Current Thoughts on the BFC
I'm finding it exceptionally easy to follow this diet so far. Yes, I'd still kill for a handful of EL Fudge cookies, maybe some Apple Pie a la mode, and a McCafe Frappe from McDonalds. But I can already feel the general sluggishness starting to slip away, and I even have been drinking my coffee without sugar OR xylitol for the past two days – something I swore I'd never do. Seriously, I said I'd switch to tea first!

The biggest challenge for this diet is shopping. We've run to many more stores than we ever would have normally, just trying (and usually failing) to find the items on our list (either the name-dropped brands or anything similar). We had Steak on Saturday because the Ezekial burger buns called for in the book were no where to be found (though we finally discovered Ezekial in the freezer section of all major chain groceries). Don't get me wrong I prefer a steak to a burger, but it's not the first time we've had to alter a recipe.

There's also the possibility that my husband's body isn't a fan of the sugar alcohols. He may also just be coming down with something (he has no immediate reaction, but since last night has had symptoms of a stomach bug), so the jury is out on that, but we will back off on the Dove and York treats for him at night while he recovers.

What Else
For my Soo Bahk Do class we have been instructed to complete daily practice at home. I'm really struggling with finding the time. I'm sure they think we just veg in front of the TV when we are not at class, but I am always doing something, whether it's freelance work or being in class. Now with the diet, and cooking real meals instead of just grabbing a can of chili and a hot dog, it's getting even harder. The only part of the day I can conceive of squeezing any time out of is pre-wake up. And I'm afraid I've failed miserably on that front so far. I got up 20 minutes early this morning but when I do the exercises I time it all at about 1.65 hours. Not to mention my back is super stiff when I wake up (I injured it falling in November), so I can barely get myself warmed up until I've showered - at which point I have no intention of sweating all over again!
I'll have to keep you updated on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment